We’ve just tabulated more results of our Beginning Farmers & Ranchers: Women in the Northeast & Texas program. These are from the 2013-2014 season in New York. This program, funded by a grant from the USDA/NIFA Beginning Farmer/Rancher Development Program, was coordinated by Sarah Williford of Central New York RC&D. This group finished their Holistic Management learning sessions in April and their final farm mentor visits in July. Lead instructors were Holistic Management Certified Educators Phil Metzger, Erica Frenay, and Elizabeth Marks. Additional instructors included Crystal Stewart. Mentors for the program were Tricia Park, Kylie Spooner, Rebeca Torres Rose, and Amie Collins
“Meeting and talking with other farmers has allowed me to improve my understanding of what is involved in small scale farming.”
“I find that the mix of women in the class I attended to be smart, savvy and determined this positive chemistry can only be of benefit to others whether it be for moral support, help with testing questions or giving an issue a different perspective.”
“The program has given me ideas and motivation and helped me become more involved in my community.”
“I got connections with local farmers to help me continue to practice Holistic Management.”
“The farmer network and experienced resources are invaluable.”
Of the 9 participants who completed the final survey:
- 8 are currently farming
- The average years of farming was 4 years
- The average acres under production was 55 acres under production
- The average age was 47 years old
- The types of farm operations were as follows: Cattle/Cow/Calf (2), Vegetable/Fruit/Produce (3), Poultry (1), Pigs (1), Sheep (1), Dairy (1), Honey (1), Hay (2), Education (1), Hops (1).
- The total customers of all participants: 107
- 100% of participants intend to keep farming
If you are a beginning women farmer in the Northeast, or know someone that is, be sure to check out our 2014-2015 enrollment page as we are now accepting applications for the upcoming season.
You can find out statistical details from the program here.