June 2, 2018
Bean Hollow Grassfed
Flint Hill, Virginia
Our Bean Hollow Grassfed Day is part of HMI’s Open Gate Learning Series. Open Gates are peer-to-peer action-based learning days with short presentations and small group exercises geared for participants to share discoveries and management techniques with guidance from experienced facilitators and producers.
Holistic Management works with nature, not against it. We will discuss planet and animal-friendly management techniques that lead to richer soil, improved water containment, nutrient-dense food, more successful farms and ranches, and thriving communities.
Whether you are an agricultural producer, local agency representative, or just interested in ranching, land stewardship, and the production of grassfed meats, this is a day for you.
Come and be a part of this on-the-ground learning day, connect with others who care about a healthy food system and help strengthen your local communities. Because we all have a stake in the way our food is grown.
What to Expect
At the Bean Hollow Grassfed Day, you will…
- Discover how Holistic Management enables producers to better manage risk, make better decisions and enjoy the benefits of sustainable agriculture
- See what fellow land managers are doing to maintain land health and profitability in a changing environment
- Learn profitable ways to integrate sheep
- Discuss practical grazing strategies to improve water use and land production
- Explore how to improve warm season perennial grasses with good ranch practices
- Learn how to analyze your enterprises from a holistic viewpoint and to make decisions that help take you toward a stated goal
|Saturday||June 2, 2018|
|8:30 AM||Registration and Social|
|9:00 AM||Welcome, Overview and Introduction to Holistic Management - Ben Bartlett|
|9:10 AM||The Bean Hollow Grassfed Story – Mike Sands|
|9:30 AM||Farm Tour: Multi-Species Grazing, Before/After Pastures, Warm/Cool Season Grasses and Monitoring - Mike Sands, David Massie and Charlotte Lorick|
|11:15 AM||A Taste of Holistic Management: Choosing the Right Enterprises, Decisions and Financial Analysis – Ben Bartlett|
|12:45 PM||Why A Greener World? - Katie Amos|
|1:00 PM||Experiential Learning: Sheep Netting and Fencing, Water Pipes and/or Water Infiltration - Small Group Exercises|
|2:30 PM||Group Discussion: What Did We Learn Today? Evaluations|
|3:00 PM||Demonstration: Cleaner Water for All with a Portable Solar Pump - Chesapeake Bay Foundation|
Advanced registration is $35 per person (includes lunch). Online registration closes May 28, 2018. Walk in registration is $40 per person, if available.This is a rain or shine event. Please bring appropriate clothing, footwear and a water bottle.
Personalized Learning, Just for You
Do you want a personalized individual training experience set at your own pace?
Are you ready to implement Holistic Management practices now so you can get the results you want for your business?
Our 1-on-1 Individualized Distance Learning courses are designed for land stewards, professional educators, consultants and agricultural producers interested in learning how to practice Holistic Management successfully to get the most benefits quickly. Classes begin when you sign up and learning materials are included. Modules include:
- Introduction to Holistic Management® Whole/Farm Ranch Planning
- Holistic Financial Planning *FSA Approved in various USA states
- Holistic Grazing Planning *FSA Approved in various USA states
- Holistic Land Planning
- Holistic Marketing / Business Planning *FSA Approved in various USA states
- Holistic Cropping Planning
- Holistic Biological Monitoring Planning