Open Gate: McAuliffe Ranch Day
August 17, 2016
139 Harkness Frontage Road
Do you want to learn how we can heal our land and communities with a healthier food system?
Are you a rancher interested in raising grass-fed beef or healthier wildlife populations?
Would you like to know about innovative management that preserves the ranching lifestyle for future generations?
Our Open Gate: McAuliffe Ranch Day is part of HMI’s Open Gate Learning Series. Open Gates are on-the-ground learning days for producers and consumers who care about land health and creating nutritious food systems to come together and discover their role in regenerative agriculture. The day includes short presentations and small group exercises geared for participants to share discoveries and management techniques with guidance from experienced facilitators and producers.
Come and be a part of this on-the-ground learning day, connect with others who care about a healthy food system and help strengthen your local communities. Because we all have a stake in the way our food is grown.
What to Expect
At the Open Gate: McAuliffe Ranch Day, you will…
- Meet the Harkness family and hear about their dedicated stewardship of the land
- Discuss practical grazing strategies to improve the land, wildlife habitat and raise healthy grass-fed beef
- Discover how to estimate forage and increase forage diversity and health of your soil
- Learn about an innovative ranch management enterprise and ways to make your ranch profitable while improving land health for wildlife and future generations
- Hear from the next generation of young ranch managers
- Practice identifying indicators of healthy ecosystem processes
- Learn about grass-fed meat production and marketing
- Hear how Holistic Management enables producers to better manage risk, make better decisions and enjoy the benefits of regenerative agriculture
This event is made possible thanks to the generosity of the Thornburg Foundation.
Collaborators and Outreach Partners
In Loving Memory
Tim W. Harkness, Holistic Pioneer
June 6, 1952-February 22, 2014
In Loving Memory – We Walk on the Shoulders of Giants