Does it feel like you don’t have enough time, money, or energy to make your farm or ranch a fulfilling business? Do you struggle with determining priorities on your farm or ranch? Are you confused about where to begin with a new farm or ranch?
We’ll provide you with the management tools that help you work with nature to develop a profitable business, reduce your stress, and increase land health and productivity. This integrated approach to management can help you reduce risks, adapt to challenging times, and more effectively reach your personal and business goals.
Dates: September 20 – November 1, 2022, Live Webinars on Tuesdays
Time: 5:00 PM – 6:30 PM MST (live webinars are recorded)
Scholarship Deadline: September 15, 2022
Registration Deadline: September 20, 2022
Instructor: HMI Certified Educator Tracy Litle
APPLY FOR A SCHOLARSHIP
In this course, you will learn how to effectively manage your farm or ranch through the principles and practices of Holistic Management —a nationally recognized whole farm/ranch planning process. You will have the opportunity to learn not only how to manage your farm/ranch for the triple bottom line (social, environmental, and financial sustainability) and more effectively manage resources, but also be able to ask questions of how to help others with that process. Learn how to improve your ability to observe, understand, and make decisions, based on what you can control and ask the right questions to facilitate that process for others. Through these new skills, you can improve your ability to work with nature and to increase your productivity, and share those ideas with others. This is a Certificate Program!
With Special Q&A featuring highly successful producers with decades of Holistic Management experience!
- Understanding the difference between financial planning, managing, and accounting and who is responsible for these activities on your management team
- Benefits of a holistic, value-based approach to finances
- Using your whole farm or ranch goal to improve your financial decision-making
- Prioritizing expenses to increase your farm/ranch investment strategies
- Planning for profit
- Improving profitability with enterprise analysis
- Analyzing net worth and tracking progress
- Writing plans to maximize profitability
- Increasing creativity in planning and marketing for more profit
- You’ll develop a whole farm/ranch (holistic) goal which clearly articulates the vision for your farm/ranch, the organizational structure, and the resources available
- Incorporate a triple bottom line analysis filter to help you make decisions more effectively (particularly in a group setting or where there are conflicts around key issues)
- Learn the principles of how nature functions and understand how tools affect ecosystem health
Fees and Scholarships
$350 per person
- Eligible for Scholarships
- If you are a qualified beginning farmer/rancher and a Nebraska resident, you may receive a one-time Nebraska state income tax credit (up to $500) for completing Getting Started Introduction to Holistic Management Whole Farm/Ranch Planning AND Getting Started Holistic Financial Planning. See the Next Gen website for details and an application.
HMI stands behind our training programs. If you participate fully in this training program by attending all sessions and completing all assignments satisfactorily, and if you are not completely satisfied within 10 days of program completion, we will refund your registration fees.
This course is seven weeks long and you should plan on about 2 – 4 hours each week to participate in the webinars and complete the assignments. While the webinars are scheduled at a particular time, you will be able to complete the assignments at any time during the week. Don’t worry if you miss a webinar, we’ll be recording them and you can view it before the next scheduled webinar. Assignments may include watching videos, reading and written exercises.
With real-time audio, video and whiteboard capabilities our learning environment allows you to stay connected for a more engaging learning experience. You are encouraged to contribute to class discussions (either on the webinar or online forum). You can build relationships with other students from across the country and maybe even the world.
You’ll also receive a FREE one-year introductory electronic subscription to IN PRACTICE and a certificate upon completion of the course.
Technology /Language Requirements
- Computer (PC or Mac are fine)
- Reliable high-speed internet access
- Internet browser (Explorer, Chrome, Firefox, or Safari)
- Microsoft Word and Excel
- Telephone (cell or land line) OR Microphone
- E-mail address
- All classes are taught in English (unless otherwise specified)
- Participants who are motivated to change management practices after training: 89%
- A majority of trainees increased net profit an average of 39%
- Participants who had increased forage: 59%
- Participants who had improved herd health: 71%
- Increased water infiltration by as much as 800%
- Increased organic matter from 1% to 6%
- Participants who extended their grazing season: 59%
Wondering about the results our courses achieve and the impact they make on our students? Find out here.
Scholarship funding support comes from the L&L Nippert Charitable Foundation.