So many of us hesitate to make changes in our lives unless they’re really big ones, thinking that somehow, the little ones don’t count. But we don’t have to wait until we can buy an electric car, or build a Platinum LEED certified home in order to have a positive impact on the environment.
Here are ten things you can do today that can make a positive change:
- Stop using plastic wrap or bags and take your lunch to work in a reusable container.
- Use your own reusable bag at the grocery store, eliminating the need for plastic bags.
- Invest in a good, stainless steel water bottle so you can stop buying bottled water.
- If you do insist on buying beverages in plastic bottles, be sure to recycle them.
- Install low-flow devices on your faucets and toilets. It will reduce water waste tremendously and you won’t even notice the difference.
- Buy local food whenever possible. The cucumber from your local farmer is bound to be much fresher than the one that traveled 1,500 miles to your neighborhood store.
- If you have even a tiny backyard, trying growing something. You’d be surprised how addictive it is once you taste something that you grew yourself. And the freshness factor can’t be beat!
- Learn about the importance of healthy soil. So many of us are spoiled by the abundance of products available at our local stores that we can sometimes forget that a farmer or rancher produced the product that we’re eating. Don’t forget.
- Re-visit the deliciousness of baked from scratch dishes and desserts; foregoing the food-in-a-box concept.
- Visit a local farmers market this weekend and make an effort to get to know the people who are growing your food.
While you may feel that doing these will have little impact on our environment; imagine if tens or even hundreds of thousands of us made a commitment to do at least one of these.
Yes, there are still benefits to that electric car, and that LEED certified home, but even the tiniest change today can have tremendous impact tomorrow.
Get the Latest News!
Stay up-to-date with the latest HMI happenings with our free bi-monthly e-newsletter, Covering Ground. New training opportunities, case studies, recipes, contests and more delivered right to you!
When you sign up, we’ll send you a free #LaVidaLocal window decal!
And now you can show your support of local farmers and ranchers with our #LaVidaLocal 100% organic cotton T-shirt and recycled shopping tote bag! Order yours today!
Leave a Reply