In honor of Earth Day, which is Saturday, April 22nd, here are a few fascinating facts about Earth:
- Although we think of our planet as enormous, 1.3 million Earths could fit inside the sun.
- Each day, up to 4 billion meteoroids fall to Earth, though luckily, most don’t survive the trip through the Earth’s atmosphere.
- Yes, the Earth is hot. In fact, the hottest temperature ever recorded on the surface of the Earth was 136 degrees – recorded in 1922 in El Azizia, Libya.
- Yes, the Earth is cold. To date, the coldest temperature recorded on the planet was a negative 128.6 degrees recorded at Antarctica’s Volstock Station.
- And it’s wet. More than 70% of the Earth’s surface is covered in water.
- Conversely, over one-third of Earth’s land surface is partially or totally desert.
- Unfortunately, only 3.5% of the water on Earth is freshwater.
- There are more living organisms in a teaspoonful of soil than there are people on earth.
- According to World Wildlife Foundation, the Earth has lost 40% of its wildlife in the past 40 years.
- Earth has lost a third of its arable land due to pollution or erosion in past 40 years.
Holistic Management benefits the Earth in a variety of ways. It increases water infiltration & retention of moisture in the soil by as much as 800%, it increases organic matter, uses the energy of the sun to create food and fiber, improves wildlife habitat and increases ground cover, which helps to reduce soil erosion.
We only have one Planet Earth. Let’s take care of her.
From all of us at HMI, Happy Earth Day!
Get the Latest News!
Stay up-to-date with the latest HMI happenings with our free bi-monthly e-newsletter, Covering Ground. New training opportunities, case studies, recipes, contests and more delivered right to you!
When you sign up, we’ll send you a free #LaVidaLocal window decal!
And now you can show your support of local farmers and ranchers with our #LaVidaLocal 100% organic cotton T-shirt and recycled shopping tote bag! Order yours today!