With record warmth throughout much of the summer, many of us are happy that fall has finally arrived. Cooler temperatures, vividly colored leaves falling to the ground, a cool wind from the north, and hints of the coming holiday season are in the air. What’s not to love about the arrival of fall?
Even if fall is not your favorite season, here are some fun facts about my favorite time of year:
- The term Harvest Moon is actually the full moon that is closest to the autumn equinox. The phrase was coined because the light from the full moon was essential to farmers during the fall harvest.
- Women actually lose more hair in the fall than the rest of the year.
- More babies are born in September (including me) than in any other month of the year.
- Children that are born in the autumn and winter months tend to be more athletic than those born during the spring and summer.
- Although people tend to eat more carb-heavy foods in the spring and summer, they tend to eat fattier foods in the fall, which contributes to winter weight gain.
- Vitamin D levels can drop in the fall and winter as access to sun lessens. This often leads to weight gain, as a lack of vitamin D can trigger the body’s fat storage mechanism.
- People born during the months of August through November have a better chance of living to the age of 100 than their counterparts born during the rest of the year.
- It takes up to 40 apples to make a single gallon of apple cider.
- Squirrels don’t hibernate; they spend most of their time in a nest they built prior to the cold setting in. When they do leave their nest, it’s to find the food that they buried during the fall.
- Top apple-producing states such as Washington will harvest over 1 million boxes of apples each fall.
- If you suffer from fall allergies, you’re likely allergic to ragweed, the most common allergy trigger in the fall.
Have a happy and productive fall!
Get the Latest News!
Stay up-to-date with the latest HMI happenings with our free bi-monthly e-newsletter, Covering Ground. New training opportunities, case studies, recipes, contests and more delivered right to you!
When you sign up, we’ll send you a free #LaVidaLocal window decal!
And now you can show your support of local farmers and ranchers with our #LaVidaLocal 100% organic cotton T-shirt and recycled shopping tote bag! Order yours today!