Stuffed Bell Peppers with Fresh Tomato Sauce
A very special thank you to Chef Kathryn Rogers of VivaciousDish.com for sharing with us this delicious, hearty and nutritious recipe that has been in her family since she was young – always a favorite on a cold fall/winter night.
5 bell peppers, any color
1 lb. grassfed ground beef
2 medium onions
2 cloves garlic
2 lbs. fresh tomatoes
1/2 cup steamed riced cauliflower
1 sprig of rosemary, minced
1/4 cup diced oregano or parsley
6 zucchini, spiralized
1 tsp. pastured butter
1/2 cup crumbled sheep feta cheese
sea salt and red pepper flakes to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut the tops off the peppers and scoop out the seeds with your hand.
- Mince one onion, and mix it in a bowl with your hands along with the ground beef, cauliflower rice, rosemary and 1 Tbsp. diced oregano and parsley.
- Stuff each pepper with the ground beef mixture.
- Chop the second onion into 1 inch pieces, and chop tomatoes into rough chunks. Mince garlic cloves.
- Put tomatoes, onion, garlic and remaining herbs in a blender, pulsing to combine until small tomato chunks remain. Add sea salt and red pepper to taste.
- Pour sauce into the bottom of a large stock pot, then place stuffed peppers into the sauce.
- Cover the pot and bake for 1 hour.
- When peppers are nearly cooked, sauté zucchini noodles in the butter on the stove for 3-4 minutes until tender.
- Serve each pepper on a plate of zucchini noodles, ladling the sauce over the top and sprinkling with feta cheese.
Did you know when you donate to HMI you are helping to create healthy food for your family and healthy soil?
Please consider giving today.