Holistic Management International has teamed up with Quivira Coalition’s New Agrarian Program to provide Holistic Management® training to apprentices, mentees and interns interested in learning regenerative agricultural practices that create healthy land, healthy food and healthy lives.
Only the top candidates will be selected for this program, limiting the number of participants, giving you more time to work 1-1 with your instructors and mentors.
This series is online so you can take it from anywhere with internet connection. Each interactive webinar is led by a live instructor who will give you helpful feedback on course assignments and answer any questions you may have. There are also a number of practical videos and articles available for further learning. All webinars are recorded so you can view them whenever works for you. For additional networking and support, each participant is encouraged to join a study group with apprentices working on similar farms/ranches.
Introduction to Whole Farm/Ranch Planning
- Develop a whole farm (holistic) goal which clearly articulates the vision for your (future) farm/ranch, the organizational structure, and the resources available.
- Incorporate a triple bottom line analysis filter to help you make decisions more effectively (particularly in a group setting or where there are conflicts around key issues).
- Learn the principles of how Nature functions and understand how tools affect ecosystem health.
Whole Farm/Ranch Land Planning & Biological Monitoring
- Learn how to create landscapes and infrastructure for maximum ease and productivity
- Create a Holistic Land Plan and learn how to implement it in conjunction with the financial plan.
- Learn how to improve your land productivity, water-holding capacity, and wildlife habitat by regenerating your soil health with innovative farming and ranching techniques
- Build the landscape you desire while mitigating the effects of drought, improving productivity of your land, and increasing wildlife habitat with better forage utilization and grazing planning
- Create a land plan that will pay for itself with the right prioritization and investment strategy
- Create infrastructure and development strategies to create more profit
Whole Farm/Ranch Financial Planning
- Develop a financial plan which will include a yearly budget
- Learn how to determine current net worth and projected net worth at year end to analyze effectiveness of financial investments
- Develop enterprise analysis for each enterprise (up to 3 enterprises) to move from a production focus to a profit focus
- Be able to analyze expenses and investment allocation strategies so you can better determine return on investment (up to 3 investments)
- Be able to analyze livestock production strategies and ramifications on financial planning (for those working with livestock).
Holistic Marketing and Business Planning
- Assess consumer trends, target markets, and potential competition
- Become familiar with resources of direct marketing
- Assess the value or uniqueness of your product or service
- Learn how to develop a marketing plan
- Write SMART goals
- Write a SWOT Analysis
- Learn how to develop a business plan
- Tie your marketing and business plan to your holistic goal and holistic financial plan
- Learn about setting prices for products and service that allow you to be profitable
- Determine viable markets for your farm/ranch
Whole Farm/Ranch Grazing Planning (optional self-instruction)
- Learn how to develop a grazing plan which will consist of a grazing map and grazing chart that identifies key management issues, estimated forage production, actual forage utilization, and livestock moves to maximize forage production and animal performance.
- Explore issues around grazing and recovery periods
- Discuss options for grazing implementation and how they influence infrastructure development and animal performance
|Introduction to Whole Farm/Ranch Planning||Beginning Class/Webinar |
April 2, 2019 Place-based class in Albuquerque which will be streamed real-time online (10AM-4PM MST)
Mid-module support webinar: April 23rd webinar 6-8 pm MDT
May 7th all assignments due
Holistic Management Certified Educators Dr. Ann Adams & Cindy Dvergsten
|Whole Farm/Ranch Land Planning & Biological Monitoring||Online Webinar Series: |
May 14, 2019 at 9am-11am & 1pm-3pm MST
Mid-module support webinar: June 4, 2019 at 6pm-8pm MST
June 18, 2019 all assignments due
Holistic Management Certified Educator Phil Metzger
|Whole Farm/Ranch Financial Planning||Online Webinar Series: |
July 23, 2019 at 9am-11am & 1pm-3pm MST
Mid-module support webinar: August 13, 2019 at 6pm-8pm MST
August 27, 2019 all assignments due
Holistic Management Certified Educator Phil Metzger
|Holistic Marketing and Business Planning||Online Webinar Series: |
Sept 10, 2019 at 9am-11am & 1pm-3pm MST
Mid-module support webinar: Oct 1, 2019 at 6pm-8pm MST
October 15, 2019 all assignments due
Holistic Management Certified Educator Cindy Dvergsten
|Whole Farm/Ranch Grazing Planning||Optional self-instruction.|
Please email [email protected] if you are interested in this self-study subject.
Cost is $1000 per student. Full and partial scholarships are available. (Scholarship deadline is March 26th).
Mentors and educational staff can audit this series for free to support participants who have registered.
Can’t afford to pay in full? No problem! HMI offers convenient payment plans to help you get the training you want to create a more profitable and sustainable business.
The Payment Plan is optional. You can pay the total amount of $1000 when registering or 4 installments totaling $1075. The payment plan schedule is as follows:
- $325 due upon registration
- $250 due May 15, 2019
- $250 due June 15, 2019
- $250 due July 15, 2019
Money Back Guarantee
HMI stands behind our training programs. If you participate fully in this training program by attending all sessions and completing all assignments satisfactorily, and if you are not completely satisfied within 10 days of program completion, we will refund your registration fees.
What Former Participants Have to Say:
“The NAP Intro to Holistic Management has been a wonderful addition to the farm work I’ve done this season. This course has taught me much of the foundational theory and framework that often goes unspoken about on farms and connected it in a meaningful way to the labor I’ve been doing. Understanding the why, not just the how, feels crucial to actually pursuing agriculture as a livelihood.”
“The Introduction to Holistic Management Course was an incredible opportunity to articulate the dreams that live with in me and give them a frame work to form them in goals that can be achieved. The language of planning begins to be crafted and your eyes open to seeing the world with questions that enable you to cultivate healthy decision making that is connected to your highest goals of caring for the earth, your community, and your family. I feel so fortunate to be able to take this course and know that these are seeds that will grow with me into the landscape of my life, thank you so much.”
“The NAP HMI course has given me a framework that I can apply to any of my future endeavors; to help make decisions, plan for financial stability, and work towards accomplishing my holistic goals.”
Thank you to our partners in this program.