Improve your land, naturally.
As a farmer, rancher or land steward, you know that one of your greatest assets is the land you work with, and managing that land can be tough due to weather conditions, environmental pressures and high input costs. This course was designed to help you regenerate your land for better soil health, bio-diversity, productivity and profitability through the practice of Holistic Management.
During this 6-day certificate course, you will create a Whole Farm/Ranch Goal and learn the Holistic Decision-Making process. From there, you will create biological monitoring, grazing and land plans built upon that goal using a Holistic Decision-Testing process.
These workshops are taught by Holistic Management Certified Educators and designed to be interactive, so you’ll have time to start applying what you’ve learned and get feedback on your plans while you’re still enrolled in the course. Classes are held on holistically managed ranches and farms so that you can see first-hand the water and fencing infrastructure and successful land improvement projects. The course layout encourages networking with other participants, fostering mutually beneficial relationships and building an ongoing support group.
What to Expect
By the end of the course, you will be well prepared to…
- Move more quickly towards creating the quality of life you want on your farm or ranch
- Make effective farm/ranch decisions with the big picture in mind
- Improve your land productivity, water-holding capacity, and wildlife habitat by regenerating your soil health with innovative farming and ranching techniques
- Understand and learn to identify effective ecosystem processes that increase resilience in drought, support diverse wildlife or endangered species, and improve the productivity of your land
- Create a monitoring plan to track the effects of your management practices and better analyze natural resource issues
- Build the landscape you desire while mitigating the effects of drought, improving productivity of your land, and increasing wildlife habitat with better forage utilization and grazing planning
- Manage grazing and animal impact to regenerate soil health and build resilient, productive, and biodiverse landscapes
- Know when to and how to destock
- Create a land plan that will pay for itself with the right prioritization and investment strategy
- Create infrastructure and development strategies to create more profit
2017 Schedule Coming Soon – Sign up for our free e-newsletter, Covering Ground, for upcoming courses.
Fee and Financial Assistance
- $250 per person
- Eligible for the HMI Terry Gompert Memorial Scholarship
- *Qualifies for FSA Borrower Training Credit in various USA states
Cancellation Policy Cancellations received up to 30 days prior to the course start date will receive a full refund. Cancellations received up to 14 days prior to an event start date will receive a 40% refund. No refunds will be given otherwise, unless in the event of dire emergency. This policy is required due to financial obligations incurred by HMI in planning these events. We appreciate your understanding.
Here’s what previous participants said about our Whole Farm/Ranch Land Management series:
“I really think the soil information I bring away will be immediately put to use.”
“All my expectations were met. What I need now is to work on my plans, on implementation, observation and adjustment. Then I would consider going to some additional open gate sessions and perhaps the longer HMI session.”
“I intend to do high stock density on just part of the ranch. Complete a plan with a new perspective & knowledge learned. Previously, I was stuck in moving forward.”
“I intend to acquire and utilize herd animals to improve soil structure and forage.”
We’ve been teaching Holistic Management and sustainable agriculture to farmers and ranchers for over 30 years. Read more about our Impact in our blog.