Improve your land, naturally.
As a farmer, rancher or land steward, you know that one of your greatest assets is the land you work with, and managing that land can be tough due to weather conditions, environmental pressures and high input costs. This course was designed to help you regenerate your land for better soil health, bio-diversity, productivity and profitability through the practice of Holistic Management.
During this 6-day certificate course, you will create a Whole Farm/Ranch Goal and learn the Holistic Decision-Making process. From there, you will create biological monitoring, grazing and land plans built upon that goal using a Holistic Decision-Testing process.
This course is designed to be interactive, so you’ll have time to start applying what you’ve learned and get feedback on your plans while you’re still enrolled in the course. Classes are held on holistically managed ranches and farms so that you can see first-hand the water and fencing infrastructure and successful land improvement projects. The course layout encourages networking with other participants, fostering mutually beneficial relationships and building an ongoing support group.
Mancos Public Library Community Room
211 West First Street
Jan 28 and Feb 4, 2017: Whole Farm/Ranch Planning Basics
February 18 and 25, 2017: Holistic Grazing Planning & Management
March 4, 2017: Holistic Land Planning
Saturday May 20, 2017: Biological Monitoring & Improving Land Management Results
This course is ideal for large & small acreages, new & seasoned producers who want to improve land productivity, soil health,
quality of life and profitability.
You must register online or by calling HMI at 505-842-5252. If you have further questions about the course, please contact Cindy Dvergsten at 970-882-4222.
Top 8 Reasons You Should Attend this Workshop:
- Discover how to manage grazing to regenerate soil health and build resilient, productive and biodiverse landscapes.
- Learn how to graze livestock at the right place and time and for the right reasons.
- Find out how to avoid over-grazing and maximize the productivity of your land.
- Test decisions to achieve the outcomes you really want to see for your farm or ranch.
- Apply land planning techniques that allow you to use your time and money for the best possible outcomes.
- Learn how to better observe, evaluate and manage the water cycle, mineral cycle, energy flow and biodiversity to achieve healthy land.
- Implement early warning biological monitoring.
- Develop strategies to reduce your inputs of labor, money and other resources so you can increase profits.
You will leave this hands-on course with:
- Clear goals and strategies about how to best manage your grazing land resources
- A completed Holistic Grazing Plan
- A land plan for infrastructure, livestock water, fencing, irrigation, crops and etc.
- Techniques for observing, evaluating and monitoring land health and productivity
- A network of fellow learners!
Cost, Financial Assistance and Registration
- $300 per person – limited space available!
- Eligible for the HMI Terry Gompert Memorial Scholarship
- Qualifies for FSA Borrower Training Credit in Colorado
Scholarship deadline: January 14, 2017
Registration deadline: January 21, 2017
Cancellation Policy Cancellations received up to 30 days prior to the course start date will receive a full refund. Cancellations received up to 14 days prior to an event start date will receive a 40% refund. No refunds will be given otherwise, unless in the event of dire emergency. This policy is required due to financial obligations incurred by HMI in planning these events. We appreciate your understanding.
This course is taught by Holistic Management Certified Educator, Cindy Dvergsten. She has over 25 years of experience working with family farms. Her hands-on style helps clients realize immediate benefits from training and consultation. Cindy uses practical know-how gained from her own farming background and that of her clients to help you achieve your best possible outcomes.
Here’s what previous participants said about our Whole Farm/Ranch Land Management series:
“I really think the soil information I bring away will be immediately put to use.”
“All my expectations were met. What I need now is to work on my plans, on implementation, observation and adjustment. Then I would consider going to some additional open gate sessions and perhaps the longer HMI session.”
“I intend to do high stock density on just part of the ranch. Complete a plan with a new perspective & knowledge learned. Previously, I was stuck in moving forward.”
“I intend to acquire and utilize herd animals to improve soil structure and forage.”
We’ve been teaching Holistic Management and sustainable agriculture to farmers and ranchers for over 30 years. Read more about our Impact in our blog.
In Collaboration With:
Sponsor This Series
Our Whole Farm/Ranch series offers organizations, agencies and businesses a great opportunity to network with farmers, ranchers and consumers interested in sustainable agricultural ideas, products and services. We offer a variety of affordable Sponsorship Opportunities to connect you with our community. Please email Stephanie von Ancken at [email protected] for more information.