Holistic Management® Foundation
Does it feel like you don’t have enough time, money, or energy to make your farm or ranch a fulfilling business? Do you struggle with determining priorities on your farm or ranch? Are you confused about where to begin with a new farm or ranch?
We’ll provide you with the management tools that help you work with nature to develop a profitable business, reduce your stress, and increase land health and productivity. This integrated approach to management can help you reduce risks, adapt to challenging times, and more effectively reach your personal and business goals.
Dates: May 11 – June 22, 2022, Wednesdays
Time: 5:00 PM – 6:30 PM MST (live webinars are recorded)
Scholarship Deadline: May 4, 2022
Registration Deadline: May 11, 2022
Instructor: HMI Certified Educator Larry Dyer
In this course, you will learn how to effectively manage your farm or ranch through the principles and practices of Holistic Management —a nationally recognized whole farm/ranch planning process. You will have the opportunity to learn not only how to manage your farm/ranch for the triple bottom line (social, environmental, and financial sustainability) and more effectively manage resources, but also be able to ask questions of how to help others with that process. Learn how to improve your ability to observe, understand, and make decisions, based on what you can control and ask the right questions to facilitate that process for others. Through these new skills, you can improve your ability to work with nature and to increase your productivity, and share those ideas with others. This is a Certificate Program!
With Special Q&A featuring highly successful producers with decades of Holistic Management experience!
- Understanding the difference between financial planning, managing, and accounting and who is responsible for these activities on your management team
- Benefits of a holistic, value-based approach to finances
- Using your whole farm or ranch goal to improve your financial decision-making
- Prioritizing expenses to increase your farm/ranch investment strategies
- Planning for profit
- Improving profitability with enterprise analysis
- Analyzing net worth and tracking progress
- Writing plans to maximize profitability
- Increasing creativity in planning and marketing for more profit
- You’ll develop a whole farm/ranch (holistic) goal which clearly articulates the vision for your farm/ranch, the organizational structure, and the resources available
- Incorporate a triple bottom line analysis filter to help you make decisions more effectively (particularly in a group setting or where there are conflicts around key issues)
- Learn the principles of how nature functions and understand how tools affect ecosystem health
Fees and Scholarships
$350 per person
- Eligible for Scholarships
- If you are a qualified beginning farmer/rancher and a Nebraska resident, you may receive a one-time Nebraska state income tax credit (up to $500) for completing Getting Started Introduction to Holistic Management Whole Farm/Ranch Planning AND Getting Started Holistic Financial Planning. See the Next Gen website for details and an application.
HMI stands behind our training programs. If you participate fully in this training program by attending all sessions and completing all assignments satisfactorily, and if you are not completely satisfied within 10 days of program completion, we will refund your registration fees.
This course is seven weeks long and you should plan on about 2 – 4 hours each week to participate in the webinars and complete the assignments. While the webinars are scheduled at a particular time, you will be able to complete the assignments at any time during the week. Don’t worry if you miss a webinar, we’ll be recording them and you can view it before the next scheduled webinar. Assignments may include watching videos, reading and written exercises.
With real-time audio, video and whiteboard capabilities our learning environment allows you to stay connected for a more engaging learning experience. You are encouraged to contribute to class discussions (either on the webinar or online forum). You can build relationships with other students from across the country and maybe even the world.
You’ll also receive a FREE one-year introductory electronic subscription to IN PRACTICE and a certificate upon completion of the course.
Technology /Language Requirements
- Computer (PC or Mac are fine)
- Reliable high-speed internet access
- Internet browser (Explorer, Chrome, Firefox, or Safari)
- Microsoft Word and Excel
- Telephone (cell or land line) OR Microphone
- E-mail address
- All classes are taught in English (unless otherwise specified)
Training with Results
- Participants who are motivated to change management practices after training: 89%
- A majority of trainees increased net profit an average of 39%
- Participants who had increased forage: 59%
- Participants who had improved herd health: 71%
- Increased water infiltration by as much as 800%
- Increased organic matter from 1% to 6%
- Participants who extended their grazing season: 59%
“I took over managing our small ranch in west Texas when my parents died within 8 months of each other in 2010 and 2011. Before that time, I had been involved in the ranch operations, but not in a managerial role. In the last five years, I have been searching for a mindset and process that would make management of the ranch a more businesslike endeavor without spending a fortune in the process. Quite honestly, I stumbled across Holistic Management International while attending a Texas Cattle Raisers Association convention a couple of years ago. I picked up some HMI materials at the trade show and never gave it another thought until recently. I signed up for the Introduction to Holistic Management Course and knew that I had found what I had been thinking about and searching for in the last couple of years. This course gave me the information and the systematic thought processes that need to be put into place to make decisions about very complex situations regarding the ranch. Now, it makes sense to me that there is a complexity and interconnectedness of the biological, financial and sociological aspects of ranching. This has changed my view about ranching but also about what is important in other areas of my life. I have much to learn at this this point, but at least I have much better idea of where I need to be going.”
– Gary Terrell, Texas, USA
“I am so glad to have done this course. My wife and I are planning to go farming very soon and it has helped us articulate and consider our resources and ideas in a really clear and structured way. We also really like how the processes encourage creativity, and respect for our ecosystem and our community.”
– Neil Johnson, United Kingdom
“I found the course to be a great introduction to Holistic Management. I have realized that holistic planned grazing is not as big a step as I had first feared and should not cost anything other than brain power to implement.”
– Johnnie Balfour, Hong Kong
“We loved taking the “Getting Started to Holistic Management® Course”. It has given us tools and refined tools that we already had to make our place more ecology friendly and to help us understand our management system better. “
-Tim and Karen Stevenson, South Dakota, USA
“The introduction to holistic management course provided a method, served as the catalyst, and equipped me with the knowledge to assist my family in starting the long overdue process of holistic goal setting and farm planning. We have already benefited from the enhanced communication required by the process and I’m confident that if we effectively apply the concepts of Holistic Management, we can ensure healthy land and a sustainable future. I’ve already enrolled in my next HMI course and plan on participating in many more classes and events.”
– Patrick Jackson, South Carolina, USA
“I love HMI’s graphic planning tools. Also, I found a great group of people! People from all over the country who are at different stages of development. Now I know more people going through the same process! It’s great to know that I have people to talk to when I am want support or advice. I am already helping a couple friends with their operations, sharing this process and creating a little community around these principles. Thank you so much Julie and HMI!”
– Nick Livermont, South Dakota, USA
“The Getting Started Introduction to Holistic Management® course has given me new decision making tools and practices that I can use to achieve my holistic goal as I transition to organic farming.”
– Martin Schildroth, Ontario, Canada
“This course has helped me to formulate a holistic goal, and the knowledge and skills to get started pursuing that goal.”
– Jared Dressman, Washington, USA
Wondering about the results our courses achieve and the impact they make on our students? Find out here.
Thank you to our Scholarship Sponsors
Scholarship funding support comes from the L&L Nippert Charitable Foundation and ISA TanTec.