24 participants attended HMI’s Whole Farm/Ranch Business Planning classes held at Mount Lookout at Grange Hall in Mancos, Colorado October 27th through November 11, 2017. Taught by HMI Certified Educator Cindy Dvergsten, the classes took place in October and November of 2017. The classes were designed to help both new and experienced farmers and ranchers learn key business, marketing and financial planning skills.
During the six days of training, participants learned a variety of business and financial skills, including learning how to plan for profit, understanding business value and how to market their business effectively, including how to establish pricing levels and initiate promotional strategies.
In the end, the classes worked to build capacity in the community, while allowing a diverse class of participants the opportunity to share their knowledge, accomplishments, and challenges, creating a sense of belonging for all class participants. Continued learning will happen with the formation of a formal Management Group. There was a total of 41,917 acres influenced from the training.
- How to create a business that works for them
- To test ideas and explore possibilities
- How to plan for profit – not just hope for one
- How to becoming a master of money management, budgeting and planning
- Their value to their customers and how to market their business
- How to establish the best pricing, positioning & promotion strategies
- How to generate a triple bottom line – human, financial, environmental
- Addressing organizational, legal & risk management needs
- Networking and learning from others like yourself
- Gaining access to valuable resources & people
- Developing a plan for starting, marketing, growing or exiting your business
|% of Participants|
|Overall Program Satisfaction||100%|
|Intend to complete or modify a financial plan||100%|
|Intend to complete a written marketing plan||100%|
|Intend to complete or modify a business plan||100%|
|Intend to change management practices||100%|
HMI would like to thank The Thornburg Foundation for their support of this program.
Make a Monthly Gift to HMI
For $25.00 a month or only .83 cents per day, you can help us heal 20 million acres of land by 2020. For $50.00 or only $1.67 per day, you can help us educate 25,000 people by 2020.
With easy, secure automatic payments, please consider your monthly gift today.