We know that healthier soil and nutrient-dense food is something we can all be thankful for. But as another Thanksgiving approaches, we want you to know how thankful we are for all of you! From the farmers and ranchers who inspire us every day with their dedication to their land and to Holistic Management, to those who have attended a class, accessed a free download from our website, supported us with a generous donation, or took the time to learn more about HMI, we are thankful!
And in light of Thanksgiving, we’d like to share some fun turkey facts with you.
- Gobble-gobble is not the universal turkey language. In fact, only male turkeys make the gobble sound that turkeys are widely known for. The females make a clicking sound instead.
- Speaking of gobbling, the turkey gobble can be heard from up to a mile away.
- Like a human, every turkey has its own unique voice, which is the way that turkeys recognize each other.
- Wild turkeys can run up to 25 MPH and can fly upwards of 50 MPH.
- Turkeys can have between 5,000 to 6,000 feathers.
- Turkeys were once nearly extinct, but today there are over 7 million wild turkeys in the U.S.
- Turkeys have been around a long time, with turkey fossils dating back over 5 million years found in the southwest U.S.
- Wild turkeys are omnivores; eating seeds, grass, fruit, flowers, insects, and even lizards.
From all of us at HMI, we wish you a safe and happy Thanksgiving.
Make a Monthly Gift to HMI
For $25.00 a month or only .83 cents per day, you can help us heal 20 million acres of land by 2020. For $50.00 or only $1.67 per day, you can help us educate 25,000 people by 2020.
With easy, secure automatic payments, please consider your monthly gift today.